Compare source code

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Fri Nov 5 14:45:39 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-05, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:17:35 +0000, Seebs wrote:
>> That was the thing which bit me the worst.  I had a fairly large block
>> of code in a first-pass ugly program.  I wanted to start refactoring it,
>> so I moved a big hunk of code into a method (with plans to further
>> refactor).  It took about fifteen minutes to redo the logic.

> Well there's your problem -- you are relying on tools that operate by
> magic.

Wrong.

> Rather than re-create the logic, why not just hit Undo and then re-paste
> the code *without* the magic auto-reformat? Half a second, to undo and re-
> paste, followed by 10 or 20 seconds to select the appropriate lines and
> *explicitly* re-indent the lines to the correct level.

There was no magic auto-reformat.  Where did you invent that from?  Why are
you making stuff up which I never said or referred to?

> For somebody who keeps tossing around the mantra that "explicit is better
> than implicit", you're amazingly reliant on a tool that performs massive,
> apparently irreversible formatting operations implicitly.

No, I am not.  No such tool was involved.  I never mentioned one, referred
to one, or hinted at one -- and have never used one, because I hate them.
In fact, it is ludicrous to imagine that I was using one, given that I've
stated in this very thread that so far as I know such a tool cannot
be created for Python.

Your decision to invent something I never referred to is not a problem with
my approach to the language.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net