Compare source code

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Fri Nov 5 14:42:41 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-05, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> How does an edit accidentally add a trailing space to a large number of
> lines?

I would love to know the answer to this question.

However, empirically, it happens.

My guess would be cutting and pasting in some way.

> So we keep coming back to work-arounds for tools that mangle your data
> for no good reason...

To some extent, this is true.

How about this.  How about we make the Python TCP Stack.  The Python TCP
Stack works on the same principles that you advocate for the Python
language.  For instance, if any packet it receives is malformed or
contrary to the applicable specs, it has a 95% chance of dropping the packet,
and a 5% chance of interpreting the packet as being of a different type
entirely.

This will NEVER be a problem, and is a good design, because handling
packets which contain any kind of spec violation is just work-arounds
for broken tools, right?

And the first thing we should do is *always* to ensure that, if anything
anywhere does not live up to our proposed specification, it causes us to
fail in spectacular ways.

Of course, to fully capture the feel of Python's choice here, we have
to include some common packet variant, which violates no RFCs, as
one of the "broken" ones on the grounds that it doesn't make sense to
us and isn't easy for a newcomer to read.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net