Compare source code

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 19:18:27 EDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 02:39 PM, Seebs wrote:
> Furthermore, I don't WANT to skip closing braces.  EXPLICIT IS BETTER
> THAN IMPLICIT.  I *WANT* to have the beginnings and ends marked.

I suggest, then that Pascal or Ruby would suit your needs better than
Python.

> I want end braces or "end" or something at the end of a block for
> the same reason that I prefer:
> 	x = "hello, world"
> 	x = "hello, world
> where we just assume the string ends at the end of the line.

Not even close to the same thing, sorry.

As for refactoring code, vim makes it really easy to move blocks in and
out.  The only time I could see this becoming an issue is if functions
or blocks of code are too long to see on a page at once.  If this is the
case, break them up.  Sounds to me like your problems with refactoring
and indention in python could be do to these kinds of design issues.
Having curly braces certainly doesn't help in these situations either.
More than once I've had C code I was refactoring that broke due to the
fact that while trying to move blocks around I misplaced a brace, an
issue I never have in Python.

In the meantime, whitespace structure is one of the things about Python
that I like the *most* about the language.  Being able to crank out
executable pseudo-code is pretty addictive.  And I never write
pseudo-code on paper with begin and end blocks cause it's too much
effort when scribbling by hand.