Allowing comments after the line continuation backslash

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Nov 3 08:17:46 EDT 2010

In article <iar48g$hnr$2 at lust.ihug.co.nz>,
 Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> > I suppose readability is in the eye of the reader, but, yes, I agree
> > that I have split this into two parts.  The parts are
> >
> > 1) The table of data
> >
> > 2) The looping construct
>
> But the table of data makes no sense outside of the looping construct. That
> table does nothing other than define the bounds of the loop.

I look at it the other way around.  The data is the important part, and
the loop is just plumbing.  Once I've got the data in an easy to manage
form, I can do lots of things with it.  I could iterate over it (as
originally written) with a "for" loop.  I could refactor the code to
pass the data to some function which processes it.  I could refactor it
a different way and use map() to process the data.

> Which means you don’t understand the purpose of the code at all. Go look at
> it in its entirety, and you’ll see what I mean.
>
> <http://github.com/ldo/dvd_menu_animator>

That URL takes me to a github page.  Can you be more specific about
which file I should be looking at?  I did take a look at one file,
overscan_margins.py.  Here's a few stylistic comments.

1) I like the fact that the file starts out with a block comment
describing what it does, how to install it, and how to run it.
Documentation is A Good Thing, and most people don't do enough of it.

2) You have provided comments for each function, such as (lines 36-37):

def NewLayer(svg, LayerName) :
    # adds a new layer to the SVG document and returns it.

This is good, but would be even more useful if it were turned into a
docstring, such as:

def NewLayer(svg, LayerName) :
    "adds a new layer to the SVG document and returns it."

For the same amount of typing, you now have a piece of text which can be
retrieved by help() and processed in various useful ways with other
tools.

3) I find the deeply nested style you use very difficult to read.  For
example, on lines 80-103.  As I read this, here's how I mentally process
it:

"OK, here's a function call (minor stumble over the open paren not being
on the same line as the function name, but I can get past that).  The
first argument is TheLayer.  The second argument is whatever
inkex.addNS() returns.  Umm..."

At that point, I can't scan quickly any more.  It took me a while to
understand that the third argument was a dictionary.  The nesting is
just too deep for me to continue to mentally hold the context of "I'm
looking at a function call and gathering up the arguments" while I drill
down through the dictionary structure to understand what it is.

This would be a lot easier to scan if it were written as:

inkex.etree.SubElement(TheLayer,
                       inkex.addNS("path", "svg"),
                       stuff)

where "stuff" is the big complicated dictionary, which is defined before
the call.  Of course, "stuff" is not a useful name for it, but not being
familiar with the domain, I don't know what a useful name would be.

Hmmm, googling for inkex.etree.SubElement found me some Inkscape
documentation.  Looks like "attribs" would be a good name for the
dictionary, since that's the name they use in the docs.  In fact, if you
look at http://tinyurl.com/24wa3q8, you'll see they use exactly the
style I describe above (modulo whitespace).