Python documentation too difficult for beginners

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Tue Nov 2 07:52:07 EDT 2010

On 11/02/10 10:42, jk wrote:
<cut>
> Is there much chance that the Python maintainers will change their
> documentation system to make it more like Java or PHP? How would I go
> about trying to make that happen?
I am by no means an authority however since you ask it here I feel
compelled to give you my opinion :-)

In general I would think that more documentation is always welcome, if
you feel like you can make a contribution, excellent, please do!

However, I found that the documentation available was enough for me, and
I didn't even have to go to the googles for that.

Typing help(thing_i_want_info_of) in the interpreter gives me precise
consistent information for what I need to do with whatever it is I am
doing and yes that is largely a replication of what is mentioned on the
site itself (well more the other way around actually).

In the odd cases this doesn't help me, I google for examples.
If that doesn't help I look at the modules __file__ and open that module
to read the source.

And when I started 10 odd years ago with Python it was my first language
with no prior confusion of other languages, since then I extended my
knowledge with C and assembler but on a day to day basis I still use Python.

--
mph