Compare source code

Tue Nov 2 07:36:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 04:16:28 +0000, Seebs wrote:

> e.g., any email sent
> to my work account is being magically transformed into HTML (no one
> knows why) on the server, so I can't get correct indentation except
> in attachments.

I suppose then you're going to insist that Python should stop using > and
< for comparison operators, because your mail server converts them to
> and < escapes?

> I've lost more time to indentation issues in Python in a month than I've
> lost to mismatches between indentation and flow in C in twenty years.

I've lost more time to reading people's bitching about indentation than I
have dealing with indentation problems.

But then, I don't insist on using tools which are broken by design. If
your email server converts plain text to HTML, it is broken. If your
editor changes spaces to tabs, or visa versa, without being told to do so
(either by an explicit command or an obvious setting), then your editor
is broken.

If you are stuck with broken mail servers and broken editors and broken
tools because of political reasons, then you have my sympathy. But stop
insisting that everybody has to carry the overhead of your work-arounds
for your broken tools.

--
Steven