Intro to Python slides, was Re: how to go on learning python

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:27:26 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Xavier Heruacles <xheruacles at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm basically a c/c++ programmer and recently come to python for some web
> development. Using django and javascript I'm afraid I can develop some web
> application now. But often I feel I'm not good at python. I don't know much
> about generators, descriptors and decorators(although I can use some of it
> to accomplish something, but I don't think I'm capable of knowing its
> internals). I find my code ugly, and it seems near everything are already
> gotten done by the libraries. When I want to do something, I just find some
> libraries or modules and then just finish the work. So I'm a bit tired of
> just doing this kind of high level scripting, only to find myself a bad
> programmer. Then my question is after one coded some kind of basic app, how
> one can keep on learning programming using python?
> Do some more interesting projects? Read more general books about
> programming? or...?
> --

You could check out these slides from an Intro to Python talk I'm
giving tonight:

http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~dstromberg/Intro-to-Python/

...perhaps especially the Further Resources section at the end.  The
Koans might be very nice for you, as might Dive Into Python.

BTW, if you're interested in Python and looking into Javascript anew,
you might look at Pyjamas.  It lets you write web apps in Python that
also run on a desktop; you can even call into Raphael from it.  Only
thing about it is it's kind of a young project compared to most Python
implementations.

PS: I mostly came from C too - knowing C can be a real advantage for a
Python programmer sometimes.