Processing file with lists.

Geobird a1chandan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 04:43:21 EST 2010

I have  a text  file , having  fields  delimited by  ;  in the first
line and  all the way  down is the data taken for those fields . Say
FAMILY NAME;SPECIES/SUBSPECIES;GENUS NAME;SUBGENUS NAME;SPECIES
NAME;SUBSPECIES NAME;AUTHORSHIP
Acrididae;Acanthacris ruficornis (Fabricius,
1787);Acanthacris;;ruficornis;;(Fabricius, 1787)
Acrididae;Acrida bicolor (Thunberg, 1815);Acrida;;bicolor;;(Thunberg,
1815)
Acrididae;Acrida oxycephala (Pallas, 1771);Acrida;;oxycephala;;
(Pallas, 1771)
Acrididae;Acrida turrita (Linnaeus, 1758);Acrida;;turrita;;(Linnaeus,
1758)

I want  to know how  could  I process this file using ' lists '  ,
that  could  answer   questions like . How many ? ,  Who did .. ?
etc.

I am a newbie , and would  appreciate your help