Problem with module 'evolution' after moving system

tinnews at isbd.co.uk tinnews at isbd.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 13:13:55 EST 2010

I have just moved my desktop system (running xubuntu 10.04) to new
hardware. I have an almost trivial python program that uses the
evolution module which no longer works and I'm having trouble working
out why.

The program is:-

    #!/usr/bin/python
    #
    #
    #
    #
    import evolution
    import sys

    addrs = evolution.ebook.open_addressbook('default')

    result = addrs.search(sys.argv[1])

    print "Found ", len(result), " matches"
    if len(result) > 0:
        for nm in result:
            print nm.get_property('email-1'), "\t", nm.get_property('full-name')
        exit(0)
    else:
        exit(1)

When I run it I get the error:-

    chris$ getEvoAddress.py zelma
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/chris/bin/getEvoAddress.py", line 10, in <module>
        addrs = evolution.ebook.open_addressbook('default')
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'open_addressbook'

Using 'help' reveals basic information for evolution but reports "no
documentation ...." for evolution.ebook.  On the old system (exactly
the same version of python, same OS, same everything just about)
"help(evolution.ebook)" shows the expected documentation.

So, what's wrong, is some python module missing that the evolution
module needs?  (It's quite likely that there are far more modules
installed on the old system than the new one)

--
Chris Green