remote server and effective uid

Tim Arnold a_jtim at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 15 10:20:52 EST 2010

Hi,
I have a remote server on a FreeBSD box with clients connecting from
linux, all running python2.7. I've setup the remote server as an inetd
service (currently running as 'nobody'). Both client and server have
access to the same file systems.

How can I enable the server process to write into the client's
directories?
If I change the inetd service to run as 'root', I guess that would
work, but then the client couldn't remove the files put there after
the request.
I could ditch the whole server process and wrap client requests with
rsh calls, but is there a way I can switch the effective uid of the
server process without asking clients to login?

Or is there a better way to solve the problem?

thanks,
--Tim Arnold