Enumeration of strings and export of the constants

lnenov lnenov at mm-sol.com
Wed Nov 10 08:12:46 EST 2010

Hi,

I need to enumerate a couple hundred strings to constants and export
them to another module(s) globals.
In the mean time I want to keep my module's namespace as clear as I can
and I don't want to use "import *" later.

Here is the code I intend to use:

     test.py
   1 class Apinamespace():
   2     @staticmethod
   3     def import_to(destination):
   4
   5         for name, number in Apinamespace.__dict__.items():
   6             if (name.startswith('__') and name.endswith('__')) or
name == "import_to": # :)
   7                 pass
   8             else:
   9                 setattr(destination, name, number)
  10
  11 class Enumerate():
  12     def __init__(self, names, start = 0, step = 1):
  13         enumerate_to = Apinamespace
  14
  15         for number, name in self.enumerate(names, start, step):
  16             setattr(enumerate_to, name, number)
  17
  18     def enumerate(self, names, start = 0, step = 1):
  19         for index in range(len(names)):
  20             yield (start, names[index])
  21             start += step
  22
  23 example_names = ['Foo','Bar','Free', 'Beer']
  24 example_names2 = ['Foo_me_too', 'Bar_me_too', 'Free_me_too',
'Beer_me_too']
  25 Enumerate(example_names)
  26 Enumerate(example_names2, 4, 2)

This works like a charm:
 >>> import sys, test
 >>> thismodule = sys.modules[__name__]
 >>> test.Apinamespace.import_to(thismodule)
 >>> Beer
3
 >>> Beer_me_too
10

Is there a better and more common way to do this?
Do you know of a way to see the module in/from which a function was
called without using traceback and frames? (I want to remove the
argument from Apinamespace.import_me)
And can line 6 be replaced by something less evil.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lyudmil