Development Vs Release

Sven nomail at thisaddress.com
Wed Nov 10 07:49:47 EST 2010

Hi,

When developing tools I often also work on a module that I need to
import into that tool. Once the work is complete both (or more) files
go to a release location on the network.

The question I have is: what is the easiest way to adjust the import
path depending on whether it's a release or dev version.

Right now I am using a custom env var (PYDEV) that I have to manually
set when I work on the project that will insert the development module
path into sys.path.
This way the released version will not append the path and use the
system wide PYTHONPATH

Are there any better ways of doing this? I don't like the idea of flags
inside the code as they can often get missed when developers release
their code, ending up with released versions that import modules from
the developer's working directory.

Thanks

--
./Sven