Python vs. Fedora and CentOS

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Mon May 31 09:53:09 EDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 7:13 AM, Jason D wrote:

>>  The major Red Hat based Linux distros are still shipping with
>> Python 2.4.
>> As a result, almost all hosting providers are running obsolete
>> versions of
>> Python.
>>
>>  The big problem seems to be that "cPanel" and
>> "yum" still use older versions
>> of Python, and those programs are more important to distro builders
>> than Python
>> itself.
>>
>>  Is anybody trying to do something about this?
>>
>> 					John Nagle
>
> I am not sure of Fedora, CentOs 5.x ships with Python 2.5 . The
> version of python depends a lot on everything else that is packed
> into the system and uses python. e.g. GUI based tools, system
> scripts etc.

Hi Jason,
CentOS is based on RHEL SRPMs. How could it ship a more advanced
version of Python than RHEL?

I have CentOS 5.4 installed, and it only offers Python 2.4.3.

And distrowatch.org backs this up -- the latest Python available for
Centos 5.x is 2.4:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos

Did you perhaps install Python 2.5 on your own by compiling the source
tarball?

bye
Philip