MySQLdb install vs. "setuptools"

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun May 30 18:11:45 EDT 2010

On Sun, 30 May 2010 15:16:42 -0700
John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:

>      It's nice that some of the options work.  Note that someone who
> used "--bindir", expecting it to work, might end up overwriting their
> existing Python installation unintentionally, which would break system
> administration tools like cPanel and "yum".

Well, usually you don't type "sudo" unintentionally...

>     The ongoing low quality of Python distribution mechanisms, and the
> denial of that fact, is a major part of why Python, after 20 years, is far
> less available than Perl.

"Far less available"? How so?

>  The latest production versions of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux and CentOS, the major server distributions, still ship
> with Python 2.4.3, a five year old version of Python.

And of course nothing in this is Python's or setuptools' fault, since
it's just Redhat's policy, so I wonder what you're trying to tell us.

(not to mention that it doesn't have anything to do with the original
topic anymore, either)