GUI programs

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Sun May 30 11:21:32 EDT 2010

* jyoung79 at kc.rr.com, on 30.05.2010 03:13:
> Just curious if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts
> about different Python GUI programming modules.  I've been
> doing a bit of research and am trying to find something that:
>
> 1.  Is portable.  Would like to be able to send the module along
> with the main python file that would be able to run a GUI
> window.  Would be sending this to multiple machines.
> Currently I'd like it to work on OS X machines, but it'd be nice
> if it worked on Windows machines, etc.  Probably be using
> Python 2.5 or 2.6.
>
> 2.  Can show an image (that is zoomable) as well as add GUI
> controls like text fields, popup menues, etc. as well as send
> information back to the program from the text fields, etc.
> For now, I'm really looking for something that can display
> EPS (postscript) and PDF images.

A GUI library may contain such functionality, but it's more properly the domain
of a special purpose library.

The question then boils down to which GUI libraries your image/rich text library
is compatible with.

Perhaps if someone else has handled that combination they'll chime in.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

PS: Tkinter on its own does not provide image resizing and does not on its own
support common image formats like JPEG or PNG (it does support GIF). For Tkinter
I think you can do that by adding the PIL library, if I remember the name
correctly. But as far as I know PIL doesn't yet support Python 3.x, and doesn't
support EPS or PDF, which are not image formats but rich text formats.