GUI programs

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Sun May 30 08:22:55 EDT 2010

On May 29, 2010, at 9:13 PM, <jyoung79 at kc.rr.com> <jyoung79 at kc.rr.com>
wrote:

> Just curious if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts
> about different Python GUI programming modules.  I've been
> doing a bit of research and am trying to find something that:
>
> 1.  Is portable.  Would like to be able to send the module along
> with the main python file that would be able to run a GUI
> window.  Would be sending this to multiple machines.
> Currently I'd like it to work on OS X machines, but it'd be nice
> if it worked on Windows machines, etc.  Probably be using
> Python 2.5 or 2.6.

Hi Jay,
wxPython, pyQT and Tkinter are all portable in that they'll run under
OS X, Windows, Gnome and KDE. Getting them installed there in some
sane fashion is another matter. There are programs like py2exe and
py2app that you've found, but Python doesn't lend itself to being
bundled this way. It can work, but may be a fair amount of trouble
depending on what modules you're trying to use and how diverse your
target machines are.

> 6.  TkInter - Does this module come standard on all machines
> that have Python?  Haven't worked with this one much, but if I
> send Python code to other machines would TkInter work?

That's my understanding. I haven't used it. I gather that Tkinter is
useful in a pinch, but that it isn't appropriate for applications with
much more than a minimalist GUI.

> Would love to hear anyones thoughts about GUI programming
> and what they use.  Would also like to hear pros/cons with the
> different modules/apps.

There's lots of discussion on this topic in the archives of this
mailing list and others. These modules haven't changed dramatically
over the past few years, so any recent-ish conversation is relevant.

Good luck
Philip

PS - we use wxPython