tkinter function outout to text widget

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Sat May 29 18:11:09 EDT 2010

* Johan Lans, on 29.05.2010 22:51:
> Hi
> I'm totally new on python and I'm doing an assignement where I'm doing
> a class that manipulates a text. The program is also supposed to have
> a GUI, for which I have used tkinter.
> So far I have entry widgets for file names and buttons, its all
> working like I want it to.
> What is missing is a way to output the changes to the text. I was
> thinking that a text-widget would be suitable. Is there a reasonably
> easy way to do this?
> I tried inserting a string to the textwidget and letting the class
> method change this string, but the inserted string isn't updated in
> the text-widget.

If that is a direct Python string, then you're not changing the string. Python
strings are immutable. So, then you're at most changing which string a variable
or attribute is referring to.

However, if it is some Tkinter thing (I seem to recall that Tkinter offers some
automatic update magic via something-something), then I don't know.

> Would be very happy for any hints.

Just update the widget whenever you change the text.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf