Python vs. Fedora and CentOS

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sat May 29 16:22:49 EDT 2010

Philip Semanchuk wrote:

> On May 29, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
>
>> John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> writes:
>>>  The major Red Hat based Linux distros are still shipping with Python
>>> 2.4.
>>
>> Fedora 12 ships with Python 2.6, I think.
>
> Fedora has been shipping with Python 2.6 since F11 release in June of
> 2009, and Python > 2.4 since F7 released in May 2007.
>
> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

     The "enterprise ready" versions are much further behind.

	http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos
		CentOS 5.5 (May 2010) - Python: 2.4.3

	http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
		RHEL 5.5 (March 2010) - Python 2.4.3
		RHEL 6-Beta - Python 2.6.2

However, if 2.6.2 is going into RHEL, the others will follow, and
that's probably the production Python on servers for the next few years.

				John Nagle