if, continuation and indentation

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu May 27 10:10:55 EDT 2010

On 05/27/2010 07:22 AM, HH wrote:
> When I write an if statement with many conditions, I prefer to use a
> parenthesis around the whole block and get the implicit continuation,
> rather than ending each line with an escape character.  Thus, using
> the example from the style guide (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
> pep-0008/) I would write:
>
>      if (width == 0 and
>          height == 0 and
>          color == 'red' and
>          emphasis == 'strong' or
>          highlight>  100):
>          raise ValueError("sorry, you lose")

While it's not PEP material, I tend to use the coding standards I
learned working for Computer Sciences Corporation (10 yrs ago, so
things may have changed) that mandated 2 levels of indentation
for continued lines, turning the above into

   if (width == 0 and
           height == 0 and
           color == 'red' and
           emphasis == 'strong' or
           highlight>  100):
           # or the closing "):" on this line,
           # aligned with the previous line
       raise ValueError("sorry, you lose")

which is fairly close to Jean-Michel's proposal.

-tkc