Question on Python Function

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon May 24 17:08:14 EDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:56:34 +0200, Vlastimil Brom wrote:

> 2010/5/24 joy99 <subhakolkata1234 at gmail.com>:
>>

>> Dear Group,
>>
>> I have a small question on function.
>>
>> If I write two functions like the following:
>>
>> IDLE 2.6.5
>>        element1=5
>>        element2=6
>>        add=element1+element2
>>        print "PRINT THE ADDITION",add

>>        element3=7
>>        element4=22
>>        mult=element3*element4
>>        print "PRINT THE MULTIPLICATION",mult
>>
>> Can I now write a third function where the above two functions can be
>> passed as argument or parameter?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Subhabrata.
>>
>> NB: As I copied the code from IDLE to MS-Word befor posting here, codes
>> may have slight indentation errors. --
>>

> Hi,
> while it is quite unclear to me, what you are trying to achieve (what
> are the passed n arguments supposed to do?), you can well pass an
> already defined function as an argument to another function; if you want
> to select a function for the needed operation, if can be e.g.:
>
> def compute(arg1, arg2, fn):
>     fn(arg1, arg2)
>
> - supposing you don't want to "return" the result but just print it as
> your functions do;
> is it what you were after or did I miss something more complex?
>
> hth
>   vbr
I did not realise you could pass a function like this, I am sure it could
lead to some interesting programming.

I am still new to OOP & the light is only just starting to switch on.

analysing your examples I now realise that all function parameters are
Objects & EVERYTHING(well almost anyway) is an object.

It just goes to show that even when you know 1 answer to the original
question You can still learn by looking at others

--
"And, of course, you have the commercials where savvy businesspeople Get
Ahead