where are the program that are written in python?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat May 22 16:35:29 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 11:20 -0700, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On May 21, 5:21 am, Deep_Feelings <doctore... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2- python is high productivity language : why there are no commercial
> > programs written in python ?
> There are a lot of commercial programs written in Python.  But any
> company which thinks it has a lock on some kind of super secret sauce
> isn't going to use Python,

Is it [only] the aspect of being "sold" that makes software
"commercial"?

A better question would be is how many Python applications, in house or
not, are used to facilitate commerce.  Answer: a lot.

I have an Open Source project with >100,000 lines of Python code [which
I think qualifies as a 'real' application]
<https://www.ohloh.net/p/coils/analyses/latest>.  But that it is Open
Source makes it non-commercial?  I doubt anyone would use it outside of
a commercial environment, and one of its principle goals is to serve as
the backend for CRM systems [essentially commercial] and facilitate
automation of business processes [essentially commercial].  The 'secret
sauce' isn't the code [which is MIT licenses] but what you do with it.
But since the framework is essentially general purpose - why not publish
the code?

I think of my Open Source code as "commercial".

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>