Reading data from a Microsoft Access 2003 database

Jimoid jimmy.cullen at gmail.com
Thu May 20 03:37:20 EDT 2010

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

So far I have installed and played around with mdbtools, and it
appears that I can use this from the shell to extract the information
I need, e.g. mdb-export for dumping an entire table or mdb-sql to run
a query. I am also interested by mxODBC and pyodbc as these seem to be
python only solutions, so could be useful for platform independent
python solutions (it may be that my programme will be used by some
Windows users, if it is successful).

To give it a bit of context, I am extracting data from the on-board
flight planning software from an aerial survey plane (the Access
database). I will extract the GPS data for each image taken so that I
can then georeference the images.

Cheers,

Jimmy