How to unescape a raw string?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Thu May 20 00:13:28 EDT 2010

Hi Chris,

> That's not what the notion of raw strings in Python technically means, but anyway...

Agree - I was having a difficult time trying to describe my dilemma -
thanks for hanging in there with my rather awkward intro :)

> I'll assume you're quoting the file contents itself verbatim here, rather than a Python string literal (which would require doubling up
on the backslashes).

Yes.

> new_string = your_string.decode('string_escape')

That's just the clue I needed. The actual decoder I needed turned out to
be 'unicode_escape' because of my embedded \uxxxx markup.

new_string = your_string.decode('unicode_escape')

Thank you for your help Chris!

Regards,
Malcolm