Access to comp.lang.python

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue May 18 19:27:08 EDT 2010

On 05/15/2010 05:34 PM, cjw wrote:
> It seems that messages are coming from a number of sources, such as
> gmane and google groups.
>
> The problem is that many messages seem to get unlinked from their threads.
>
> I use Thunderbird 3.0.5 and wonder whether the problem lies with the
> merge process, the server or my reader.

While others have told you about using gmane or other sources
(direct email, etc), I haven't seen anything fly by regarding the
"unlinked from their threads" portion of your question.
Thunderbird 2.0 -> 3.0 changed the default value for
mail.strict_threading from False to True.  Pulling up the config
editor (essentially the about:config, buried in the
options->advanced stuff, I think; or perhaps I have the
"about:config" plugin to do that) allows you to toggle this value
back to "True".  This setting controls whether threads are
defined *only* by the mail header (strict=True), or whether TB
also tries to guess based on the Subject header (strict=False).

Toggle it (and perhaps restart TB?) and see if that helps rectify
the threading.  There are a lot of folks here on c.l.p that use
broken newsreaders that don't correctly set news/threading headers.

-tkc