Picking a license

Ed Keith e_d_k at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 10:19:14 EDT 2010

--- On Sat, 5/15/10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> Subject: Re: Picking a license
> To: python-list at python.org
> Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 11:06 PM
> In message <mailman.198.1273891662.32709.python-list at python.org>,
> Ed Keith
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 5/14/10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> > <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> wrote:

> freedoms,
> more freedoms. Under other
> >>
> >> But what about the “freedom” to take away
> other
> >> people’s freedom? Is that really “freedom”?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> But that’s a “freedom” that non-GPL licences do not
> give you, that the GPL
> does. So which licence gives you more “freedoms”,
> again?
> --

????? You just answered your own question. The The GPL does not give you the freedoms to take away other people freedom, so the the less restrictive license have less restrictions (which is why they are called "less restrictive" by the way) "Less restrictions" is a synonym for "more freedoms". To the extent that something is "restricted" it is not "free". To the extent which something if "free" it is not "restricted".

There is clearly some kind of communication problem here. Either were are speaking different languages with some faulty transaction program interviewing, or one of is is either stupid or senile (seems a bit early for me, but it is possible); or you are being disingenuous.

If you type the word 'restrict' into thesaurus.com you will get the following antonyms: enlarge, expand, free, let go, release, Note the second word on the list. Please do not take my word for it, try it yourself. Try other sites, if you think I may have rigged this one.

     -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k at yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com