Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Sat May 15 01:56:37 EDT 2010

On May 15, 12:50 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 08:37:14 -0700, Patrick Maupin wrote:

> The most obvious example was that the University of Berkley counter-sued
> Unix System Laboratories over USL's infringement of the BSD licence.

Well, I specifically excluded BSD for this reason.  But in any case,
I'd be willing to place a small wager that it's the *only* (rather
than merely the "most obvious") example you can find...

> Admittedly this wasn't the MIT or Apache licence, and the circumstances
> were fairly special. It's a fairly safe bet that anyone who is
> distributing their software under such a licence is sending an implicit
> signal that they don't intend to sue.

Right.

> But it does demonstrate that MIT-
> style licences aren't the same as public domain -- they do impose
> obligations on the recipient, even if those obligations are much lighter
> than those of the GPL.

And I certainly have never deliberately attempted to mislead on this
point.

Regards,
Pat