Picking a license

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 14 19:42:34 EDT 2010

On 14 Mai, 22:12, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I *obviously*
> was explaining that projects which *aren't* marginal, such as PyQt and
> MatLab, are the *only* kinds of projects that would be rewritten for a
> simple license change.

"As far as your comments about PyQt proving out the concept, well duh!
Just as there are a lot of proprietary programs that are relatively
useless and *won't* have any GPLed versions written, nobody's going to
waste time rewriting a marginally useful GPLed library just to put a
permissive license on it, either."

This being the sudden introduction of this notion of a "marginally
useful" library. And for a long time no-one did rewrite PyQt for the
purpose of having a permissively licensed library, so it's quite
natural to assume that you're saying that until PySide came along, the
reasons for which I have already noted, PyQt was a "marginally useful"
library, not worth rewriting.

> You really should slow down and read a bit more carefully.

You might want to tone down the condescension.

Paul