Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Fri May 14 13:15:51 EDT 2010

On May 14, 11:48 am, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Mai, 17:37, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Before, you were busy pointing me at the GPL FAQ as authoritative.
>
> No, the licence is the authority, although the FAQ would probably be
> useful to clarify the licence author's intent in a litigation
> environment.

Agreed.

> Section 3 of GPLv2 (and section 6(d) of GPLv3 reads similarly): "If
> distribution of executable or object code is made by offering access
> to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent access to
> copy the source code from the same place counts as distribution of the
> source code, even though third parties are not compelled to copy the
> source along with the object code."
>
> And here's that FAQ entry which clarifies the intent:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet

That entry, along with the written offer, certainly covers Ubuntu when
they distribute a CD.

But if I *download* an ISO, burn it on a CD, and give it away, *I* am
the one distributing the physical copy, not Ubuntu, and I am not going
to put up an FTP server just so my friend can get source from it.  And
as section 6 of GPL v3 makes clear, I am not allowed to piggyback on
Ubuntu's source offer.  My situation *really is* covered by the FAQ
entry I referred you to:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary

> Like I said, if you really have a problem with Ubuntu shipping CDs and
> exposing others to copyright infringement litigation.

So, deliberately or not, you're trying to change the discussion
again.  I *never* discussed Ubuntu shipping a physical CD, and never
intimated that that was a problem.  My discussion was *always* about
an individual *downloading* an ISO and *burning* a CD himself, then
*distributing* the CD to someone else.

> - or even
> themselves, since they (and all major distributions) are actively
> distributing binaries but not necessarily sources in the very same
> download or on the very same disc - then maybe you should take it up
> with them.

Again, I never intimated this.  Please read more carefully in the
future before you reply, and then perhaps you will actually make
cogent replies that address my points, and then I won't be so
frustrated that I make snide comments you take offense at, OK?  This
has happened on at least 4 separate occasions in this thread, and
sometimes a single misunderstanding goes on for quite a few posts, so
I'm starting to wonder if it's deliberate.

Regards,
Pat