Picking a license

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 14 11:20:06 EDT 2010

On 14 Mai, 09:08, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 10:59 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 May 2010 17:18:47 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:
> > > 2. Reimplment the functionality seperately (*cough* PySide)
>
> > Yes. So what? In what possible way is this an argument against the GPL?

[...]

> It's not.  It's an argument that the GPL doesn't do much good.

Right. So nobody got the benefit from Qt under the GPL or PyQt under
the GPL? Even the PySide developers seem hell-bent on picking over the
work of the PyQt developers for ideas, although they obviously won't
touch the code. Nokia seem to have accrued tremendous benefit from the
existence of PyQt because I rather doubt that anyone would have
bothered rolling a set of mature, usable Python bindings for Qt now
had some not existed already and proved that dynamic languages are
worth supporting.

> Arguments against the GPL are found elsewhere in this thread, I don't
> need to repeat them here.

Yes, don't bother. They fit in rather well with the comment you made
above.

Paul