Data store solution need help

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri May 14 09:47:13 EDT 2010

On 05/14/2010 08:18 AM, Haulyn Jason wrote:
> I am a Java programmer, now I am working on a Python program. At the
> moment, I need to store some data from user's input, no database, no
> xml, no txt(we can not make users open the data file by vim or other
> text editor).

You don't mention what type of data you want to store?  Is it a
single string?  Multiple strings?  Complex nested data?

And how do you want to access it?

Python provides you any number of options:

- you can use standard Python file objects to read/write content
in a file format of your own definition

- you can use the ConfigParser module to read/write an old-school
.INI style file (which can also be edited in a text editor, but
doesn't have to be)

- you can use the "anydbm" module to store key/value pairs of
strings with an internal user-interface much like a dictionary

- you can use the "pickle" module to persist Python objects into
files

- you can use the "shelve" module to combine the "pickle"
persistence with the DBM layer

- you can use the built-in (as of Python2.5) "sqlite3" module for
a single-file database with full SQL capabilities without the
need to install a SQL server (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, etc)

- you can persist to cloud storage or to your own web-server
using the urllib/urllib2 modules

But without knowing what you want to store or how you want to
access it, it's hard to offer more concrete advice.

-tkc