Picking a license

Ed Keith e_d_k at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 09:42:31 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 5/13/10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> Subject: Re: Picking a license
> To: python-list at python.org
> Date: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 11:07 PM
> In message <mailman.133.1273757049.32709.python-list at python.org>,
> Ed Keith
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 5/13/10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> > <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> wrote:

> library
> >>
> >> What have you got against LGPL for this purpose?
> >
> > Most of my clients would not know how to relink a
> program if their life
> > depended on it. And I do not want to put then in DLL
> hell. So I avoid the
> > LGPL.
>
> How exactly does the LGPL lead to a requirement to
> “relink”?
> --

I am not a lawyer, but as I understand the LGPL, If I give someone something that used any LGPLed code I must give them the ability to relink it with any future releases of the LGPLed code. I think that means that I need to give them a linker and teach them how to use it, and I do not want to go there.

   -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k at yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com