Picking a license

Ed Keith e_d_k at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 09:39:05 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 5/13/10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> Subject: Re: Picking a license
> To: python-list at python.org
> Date: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
> In message <mailman.141.1273767256.32709.python-list at python.org>,
> Ed Keith
> wrote:
>
> > Assertion I:
> >    If person A is free to do more than
> person B, then person A has
> >    more freedom then person B.
> >
> > Assertion II:
> >    If person A is free do perform an action
> person B is not free to
> >    perform then person A is free to do more
> than person B.
> >
> > Assertion III:
> >   If person B is restricted in some way
> that person A is not them Person A
> >   is free to do something Person B is
> not free to do.
> >
> > Conclusion:
> >   If person B is more resticted than
> Peston A, Person A has mor freedom
> >   than person B.
> >
> > Which step in this reasoning do you disagree with?
>
> Under the GPL, everybody has exactly the same freedoms. So
> which of your
> assertions is supposedly a criticism of the GPL?
> --

Yes, under the GPL every one has one set of freedoms, under the MIT or Boost license every one has more freedoms. Under other licenses they have fewer freedoms.

None of my point criticize the GPL, they merely defend my claim that a more permissive license grants more freedom. You claimed the contrary.

Are you withdrawing your previous claim, or will you directly refute my arguments?

   -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k at yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com