Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Thu May 13 23:39:54 EDT 2010

On May 13, 10:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <72888d2c-4b1a-4b08-a3aa-
>
> f4021d2ed... at e2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> > If I download an Ubuntu ISO, burn it and give it away (let's say I give
> > away 100 copies, just to remove the fair use defense), then I have
> > violated the GPL.  I provided chapter and verse on this; go look it up.
>
> I have looked it up <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>, and sections
> 3b or 3c would seem to apply. Or alternatively
> <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, 6b or 6c. If the source you got it
> from didn’t violate the GPL, then obviously you didn’t either.

I don't think that's necessarily true.  As I've posted before:  "In
the
case of GPL v3, for example, Ubuntu lets me download code under 6d, so
if I download it and burn it, I would have to use 6a or 6b; if I had
actually received a CD from Ubuntu, I might be able to use 6c, but not
if I downloaded it."

That's because to use 6c, the initial underlying distribution had to
be done with 6b, not 6d.  Also the FAQ is very clear:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary

Regards,
Pat