Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:12:29 EDT 2010

On May 13, 6:39 pm, Steven D'Aprano
<ste... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:06:52 -0700, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> > If I download an Ubuntu
> > ISO, burn it and give it away (let's say I give away 100 copies, just to
> > remove the fair use defense), then I have violated the GPL.  I provided
> > chapter and verse on this; go look it up.
>
> I'm sorry, I can't see where you have provided "chapter and verse", or
> even a URL.

In the original message, I wrote "In the case of GPL v3, for example,
Ubuntu lets me download code under 6d, so if I download it and burn
it, I would have to use 6a or 6b; if I had actually received a CD from
Ubuntu, I might be able to use 6c, but not if I downloaded it."  I
thought it was clear those were references to the license clauses.

> >> If you compiled the CD yourself, and failed to provide a written offer
> >> on the CD, then yes absolutely you would be in violation of the licence
> >> terms, and shame on you.
>
> > Not relevant.
>
> You didn't specify whether the "Linux CD" you were distributing was a
> mere copy of an existing CD , or one you created yourself, so you will
> pardon me for covering both possibilities.

Well, in the section I just quoted, I did mention "Ubuntu"...

> >> The GPL doesn't require you to force source code on those who don't
> >> want it, but it does require you to make it available if they ask, and
> >> for you to notify them appropriately of this fact. You don't even have
> >> to explicitly tell your friend he can have the source code. You just
> >> have to make sure that the written offer is available on the disk you
> >> give him.
>
> > There is no written offer on the disk, because I burned it from Ubuntu's
> > repository.  It really is that simple -- if I give away copies I've made
> > of Ubuntu, I've violated the GPL.
>
> No, I think this use-case would count as "propagation without conveying",
> since you are merely acting as a mechanical proxy between your friend(s)
> and Ubuntu.

No, I'm actually creating a copy and distributing it (in GPL v3
terminology, conveying it), especially since my friends don't
specifically ask for Ubuntu, and I'm foisting it off on them
(especially if I burn 10 CDs at a time so I have one if I need it).
GPL v2 also has similar rules, and there's lots of v2 licensed
software on the Ubuntu CD.

> I will admit that the GPL FAQs are not as clear about this matter as they
> should be.

I think it's quite clear, although a bit of a tedious slog.  But since
you want a URL, try this:  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary

> > Unless you can cite some authority
> > that tells me I'm wrong and gives real reasons.  I actually quoted
> > chapter and verse from the license, but you chose to ignore that and
> > make unsubstantiated claims.
>
> I'm sorry, I can't find where you have quoted "chapter and verse" from
> the licence, so I can't comment.

Well, I just re-copied what I posted, and added a URL from the FAQ.

Regards,
Pat