Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:10:09 EDT 2010

On May 13, 6:30 pm, Brendan Abel <007bren... at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I think most of the disagreement in this long thread results
> from different beliefs in what "freedom" means, I wanted to add, that
> most of the responses that argue that the MIT license permits the user
> more freedom than the GPL, suffer from the broken window fallacy.
> This fallacy results from the short-sided-ness of the user base, as it
> is only considering the first generation of derivative works.

The broken window fallacy is about labor that could have been spent
elsewhere if someone else had done something differently.  The only
time that comes into play in my programming life is when I have to
recode something that is nominally available under the GPL, so I'm not
sure this is really making the point you think it is.

Regards,
Pat