Do any debuggers support "edit and continue?"

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 18:13:50 EDT 2010

On May 12, 3:03 pm, "Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgro... at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Pretty much, yeah... Realistically, we're probably talking less than a minute
> each time, so objectively it's not really a big deal -- it's just different
> than what I'm used to so I'm noticing it more. :-)
>
> I guess what I'm realizing here is that one of the upsides of compiled
> languages is that they'll (usually) catch most typos before your program even
> runs!

When you write developer tests ("unit tests"), you edit the code for a
while, hit a test button, and get instant feedback - syntax errors,
assertion failures, or a green bar. Then you edit a little more. This
allows you to learn to make the smallest possible edits that
constantly return you to a testworthy state.

Each test case does everything you did, manually. It sets up various
inputs and runs them thru a system. Better, it sets up inputs for each
specific method, not just for the whole app. That helps decouple the
specific methods, so they don't accidentally depend on everything.