Upgrade Python 2.6.4 to 2.6.5

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 11 21:50:02 EDT 2010

On 5/11/2010 5:27 PM, python at bdurham.com wrote:
> Martin,
>
> If we install over an existing version of Python 2.6.5, will our PTH
> files and site-packages be preserved?
>
> Or do we need to back out our 3rd party packages, install Python 2.6.5
> and then manually restore our 3rd party packages?

In my experience on WinXP, installing x.y.z+1 over x.y.z nicely leaves
sitepackages alone as well as any other directories I have added under
the pythonxy directory. An uninstall and reinstall should also leave
user stuff alone.

Installing x.y+1 create and install in a new pythonx<y+1> directory,
leaving one to copy from pythonxy subdirs as desired.

It appears that the OP confused things by switching between one and all
user installs.

Terry Jan Reedy