Is Python a functional programming language?

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Mon May 10 21:04:29 EDT 2010

On 10 mayo, 09:24, Samuel Williams <space.ship.travel... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Is Python a functional programming language?
>
> Is this a paradigm that is well supported by both the language syntax and the general programming APIs?
>
> I heard that lambdas were limited to a single expression, and that other functional features were slated for removal in Python 3... is this the case or have I been misinformed?
>
> Finally, even if Python supports functional features, is this a model that is used often in client/application code?
>
> Kind regards,
> Samuel

I'm no expert of functional programming at all, but I read many times
(from famous programmers) that Python is very lisp-like, but with a
more conventional syntax.
For example, Paul Graham and others have some interesting views on
this subject: http://www.prescod.net/python/IsPythonLisp.html

That doesn't mean python can compete with other purely functional
languages, but it's probably as functional as it can be for a more
conventional, multiparadigm language.

Luis