Is Python a functional programming language?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Mon May 10 09:11:13 EDT 2010

Samuel Williams a écrit :
> Dear Friends,
>
> Is Python a functional programming language?

Depends on your definition of "functional programming language", but
well, not really. It's mostly an imperative, object-oriented (but not
pure-object) language. It has some restricted support for some
functional idioms but trying to use it a true FPL would be a waste of
time (both developper's and computer's).

> Is this a paradigm that is well supported by both the language syntax and the general programming APIs?

No.

> I heard that lambdas were limited to a single expression,

True.

> and that other functional features were slated for removal in Python 3...

False.

Some FP-inspired functions and types are moving from builtins to a
dedicated module, but they are still available.

> is this the case or have I been misinformed?
>
> Finally, even if Python supports functional features, is this a model that is used often in client/application code?

Once again, depends on your definitions of what's "functional". Some
FP-inspired idioms and features are definitly idiomatic, but that
doesn't make for true functional programming. Once again, trying to do
pure FP in Python would be fighting against the language.