Picking a license

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun May 9 01:27:25 EDT 2010

Patrick Maupin <pmaupin at gmail.com> writes:
> hybrid models that the GPL doesn't support.  See, for example, Apple's
> support of BSD, Webkit, and LLVM.  Apple is not a "do no evil"
> corporation, and their contributions back to these packages are driven
> far more by hard-nosed business decisions than by any expectation of
> community goodwill.

That is true.  They've also supported GPL projects.  I think they just
don't want to be in the business of selling those sorts of products.
They're making too much money selling iphones and laptops to want such a
distraction.  Things were different with G++.  The company that
developed it would have liked to go into the compiler business with it,
but it wasn't an option, so they released under GPL.

Linus has said similar things have happened with Linux, but I don't know
details.