Where is python31.dll?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu May 6 05:10:16 EDT 2010

Pietro Campesato wrote:
>> Your windows search command?
>> Which is how I verified the above.
>>

> I looked at the folder visually. Simply using os.listdir shows there
> is in fact a python31.dll there: somehow it was an invisible file.
> This is strange since I've never touched any system folder. Thanks and
> forgive me if I have asked the group a silly question.

"visually"?  Lots of possibilities there.  And if you're not sure, you
need to get familiar with Windows quirks.

IF you're using Explorer, there are a few ways you could miss a single
file out of thousands.

Simplest is that the listing is not necessarily completely sorted.  You
need to do a View->ArrangeIconsBy->Name
to really trust that they're sorted today.  And you may have to repeat
that menu again next time you launch Explorer, or even next time you
look at some other directory.

Next is that Explorer is initialized by Microsoft to mostly use the
worst possible defaults.  One is to hide system and hidden files
.  Another is to hide extensions of known types.  Either of these could
make you overlook the file.

HTH
DaveA