Teaching Programming

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Wed May 5 04:50:11 EDT 2010

alex23 wrote:
> Ed Keith <e_... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Knuth wanted the generated source to be unreadable, so people would not be tempted to edit the generated code.
>>

> This is my biggest issue with Knuth's view of literate programming. If
> the generated source isn't readable, am I just supposed to trust it?
> How can I tell if an error lies in my expression of the algorithm or
> in the code generation itself?

Do you think a compiler is required to make its object file conveniently
readable?  Do you regularly read the machine code generated by your C
compiler?  I admit I've frequently studied compiler output over the
years, but I think I'm very unusual in that respect.  I've never
disassembled a python byte code file, though I wrote tools to display
and manipulate both java byte code files and dot-net (before it was
called that).

I think the question really boils down to whether you trust the compiler.

DaveA