Teaching Programming

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 4 14:35:10 EDT 2010

On 5/4/2010 1:44 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 12:06:10 -0400, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>
>
>> Speak for yourself, please. For two decades before I met Python, I
>> indented code nicely whenever it was allowed. That option was one of the
>> great advancements of Fortran77 over FortranIV. Coming from C, I was
>> immediately glad to be done with those darn braces.
>>
> 	What kept you from indenting FORTRAN-IV?

There was a several year gap with learning of 'structured programming'
in between. Perhaps ignorance of both the possibility (no one did it,
that I know of) and desirability. Glass screens made consistent
indentation a lot easier that with cards and teletypes. The new
structured block constructs made indentation more useful, too.