Teaching Programming

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Mon May 3 08:29:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Samuel Williams
<space.ship.traveller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I'm looking for some help from the Python community. I hope this is the
> right place to ask for information.
>
> I'm putting together a website aimed at high school students and teachers,
> and would like to make sure the following page is as good as possible:
> http://programming.dojo.net.nz/languages/python/index
> In particular, "Why would I learn this language?" section needs to have a
> few paragraphs. I don't use Python predominantly so I hoped that you could
> provide the main reasons why Python is a language someone would want to
> learn about.

- Significant use in certain applications areas:
* Web programming (common frameworks include Django & TurboGears)
* Scientific and numerical computing (see SciPy and Numeric)
- Large "batteries-included" standard library, with a large number of
third-party libraries also available
- Used by Industrial Light and Magic, Google/YouTube, and other big
names (http://www.python.org/about/success/)
- A very clean syntax and elegant design, compared to other languages

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com