HTTP server + SQLite?

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 04:32:07 EDT 2010

Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
> I'm no Python expert, so would appreciate any information on how to
> combine a web server and SQLite into a single Python application.

Hey Gilles,

I'm a fan of the http framework, CherryPy[1]. Very quick and easy to
get something up and running. The site also has some ideas on
interoperating with a database[2], although this might be a better
starting point[3]. SQLite is included in the Python standard library
past 2.5, but if you're stuck with either 2.3 or 2.4, the 3rd party
library pysqlite[4] provides support for them.

For a higher level web framework, I find Turbogears 2.x[5] really
straightforward. It's based around SQLAlchemy, which supports SQLite,
but sounds like it's probably overkill for your situation.

1: http://www.cherrypy.org/
2: http://tools.cherrypy.org/wiki/Databases
3: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/496799/
4: http://code.google.com/p/pysqlite