gettext compatible, public domain collections of translations for strings commonly used in software applications?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Fri May 21 18:01:58 EDT 2010

It seems to me that there must be some public domain collection
of translated strings that could be searched for 1:1 or fuzzy
translations for strings commonly used in software applications?

Is there a technical and copyright friendly (LGPL licensed?) way
to query services like Google's Translator Toolkit, LaunchPad,
Mygengo, etc. to find translations for common strings?

I've tried to google this topic without success.

Example: public domain po (translation|translations)

Thanks,
Malcolm