What's the matter with docs.python.org?

Christian Mertes cmertes at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed May 19 12:23:18 EDT 2010

by kjon 2010-03-24T16:40:21+00:00.
> In Philip Semanchuk writes:
> >On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:05 PM, kj wrote:
> >> In the last couple of weeks, docs.python.org has been down repeatedly
> >> (like right now). Has anyone else noticed this?
> >http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/docs.python.org
> Very handy. Thanks!
> ~K

Hey kjon,

I just found your mail in the archives because I've been experiencing the
same weird problems and I couldn't believe they wouldn't fix their server
for such a long time. I'd like to know what downforeveryoneorjustme.com does
because it's so lightning fast. Pinging the server? Works for me. Looking for
port 80? It's open. Connecting to it and getting a web page? That's where things
start to get interesting:

> $ telnet docs.python.org 80
> Trying 2001:888:2000:d::a2...
> Trying 82.94.164.162...
> Connected to docs.python.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET / HTTP/1.0
>

> Connection closed by foreign host.

... after a really long time. The server wouldn't serve me. Opera reports a
network error right away though, not waiting for a timeout. And the best part:
Chrome and Firefox just get me the website. Wireshark reveals that both latter
browsers get a "304 Not Modified" response and then do a lot of weird stuff involving
DNS as well as HTTP to finally deliver a web page. Opera does no such thing but only
sends a request to 2001:888:2000:d::a2. Yeah, right, that's an IPv6 address.
I really don't understand the details of what's going on here but chances are
that you also use Opera, kjon and those who replied to you didn't?

I reported docs.python.org as a broken page to the Opera devs but I'm also Ccing this
mail to the server admin because this seems to be a more complex problem than just
a broken (if at all) web browser.

Best regards,

	Christian