Pythonw.exe randomly crashing

Dean Weimer dweimer at ORSCHELN.com
Tue May 11 14:02:00 EDT 2010

Hi, I have a python application I wrote that is randomly crashing, I was
wondering if anyone else has ran into this error, or if anyone has any
idea about how to fix it.  This is currently running under Windows
server 2008 R2 x64 in terminal services, with Python 2.6.4 x64
installed.  I ran into this problem with previous versions of Python on
windows 2003 server running under 32 bit.  I have been unable to
duplicate the error under a devolvement platform.  The application is a
simple GUI used for time clock stations on a shop floor; it has a
multithreaded GUI which displays some rotating informational images.  A
Text box that displays a constantly updating clock, and a text box that
accepts employee clock number input and one that displays results
returned from a background thread that runs a telnet session to a
server.  I can't really tell you where the error is occurring within the
actual code, as it takes days of the application running to happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get it to give me more
information about the crash?

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          5/6/2010 3:33:40 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

User:          N/A

Faulting application name: pythonw.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
0x4ba3b0d9

Faulting module name: tcl85.dll, version: 8.5.2.2, time stamp:
0x48515e43

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000005863d

Faulting process id: 0xa98

Faulting application start time: 0x01cae87cff98c7c4

Faulting application path: C:\Python26\pythonw.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Python26\DLLs\tcl85.dll

Report Id: a7a18c68-594e-11df-b65f-005056b55389

Thanks,

     Dean Weimer

     Network Administrator

     Orscheln Management Co