Python is cool!!

lkcl luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Sat May 8 10:08:08 EDT 2010

On Mar 23, 9:24 pm, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 3:12 pm, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > I can't say I thought *very* hard before sending that but...
> > The OP asked for "integrate Python in Web Pages with HTML"
> > which I understood -- perhaps wrongly -- to mean: run Python
> > in the browser. The only two ways I'm aware of doing that
> > in Python are the undersupported Python-as-IE-scripting-language
> > and IronPython/Silverlight.
>
> If I had to run Python in a browser, the first thing I would do is
> turn toPyjamas:  http://pyjs.org/

 or http://skulpt.org or an old version of pypy with the JS back-end
(no longer maintained)

 ... but there's another way - actually several.  i documented them
all here:

 http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebBrowserProgramming

 solutions include appcelerator, pxpcomext and so on.  appcelerator
comprises, as best i can make out, some simple "glue" logic which
connects silverlight/moonlight to DOM access functions via .NET (and
from there to languages such as python or ruby, through IronRuby and
IronPython)

 all pretty fucking horrendous, to be honest, and non-portable, making
pyjs and skulpt the infinitely better choices for cross-platform /
cross-browser interoperability.  skulpt doesn't come with any UI
widgets (not in JS nor in python) but pyjamas does.

 it entirely depends what you want to do.

 l.