Sharing a program I wrote

Scott scott.freemire at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:40:20 EDT 2010

I'm looking for suggestions on what to do (and how to do it) if I want
to share a program that I wrote in Python. There seem to be quite a
few places to post code and I don't know how to choose.

I wrote a program (script?) that takes a text file containing the
output of  the "show access-list" command on a Cisco PIX/ASA/FWSM
firewall and any number of text files containing syslog output from
the same firewall and creates a report showing which access-list rules
allowed which actual connections. It is written in Python 2.6 and runs
on Windows.

Since this is obviously something mankind has long been waiting for I
am thinking about sharing it - but since I am new to Python and
programming in general I am not at all familiar with dealing with
source code.

I'm sure that improvements and additions could be made if it was
reviewed by "actual programmers" but I wouldn't exactly call it a
"project" either. Of course I'd love to add a gui interface...

I've seen pypi. It seems to index code that is posted on all sorts of
sites - including pypi itself? And what is a "package" anyway? I've
seen sourceforge. It looks like a good home for big applications or
multi-developer projects. Freshmeat? Google code? My own website? Your
blog?

Another detail is that my program uses a library that was written by
someone else. It is the most excellent netaddr written by David P. D.
Moss and it lives at code.google.com. It uses the New BSD License.
Since this library is required would I simply provide a link to it?
Would I post the actual library? Do I have to post a copy of his
copyright info anywhere? Please don't tell me I have to write some
kind of installer that takes care of providing that.

I really just want anyone who might need a little networking/security
tool like this to be able to find it. Any advice?

Thanks,
Scott